Convenience Center Information
The Henry County Refuse Department handles the County's household trash disposal. The Refuse Department manages seven Convenience Centers located throughout the County that are in place for County residents to dispose of their household trash and certain other items. The following links contain maps to each site.
Henry County's Convenience Centers operate Monday through Saturday, 7 am to 7 pm. All sites are closed on Sundays. All sites also closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day. If a holiday such as Christmas or New Year's falls on a Sunday the Convenience Centers will be closed on either Saturday or Monday. Each of the sites are staffed by onsite personnel during business hours.
To use the sites you must have displayed on your car a County-issued sticker. These free stickers are distributed by the site monitors, who will verify your car’s registration and ensure that you are a Henry County resident.
Each of the seven sites will be gated and closed when not in operation. Please do not leave trash at the gate during those hours that the facilities are closed. Remember: If the gate is closed, do not dispose! Anyone caught dumping trash at any of the sites after business hours could be subject to criminal prosecution.
If you have questions about what you can bring to our Convenience Centers, view our Frequently Asked Questions at Convenience Center Sites (PDF).
What Items Can Be Brought to a Convenience Center?
Remember: Henry County's sites are for the use by County residents only - no businesses, and no non-County residents.
- Household trash - in plastic bags only - may be placed in one of the smaller green boxes.
- Furniture may be placed in the roll-off containers.
- White goods such as stoves, washers, dryers, etc. may be placed on one of the concrete pads that are marked for that particular item.
- Cardboard may be placed in a brown container marked for cardboard.
- Newspapers and inserts may be placed in a grey container marked for those items.
- Aluminum and tin cans may be placed in the appropriately marked containers.
- No. 1 and No. 2 plastics are accepted. Please rinse the items and remove the tops before placing the plastics in our receptacles.
- Most basic household electrical items - such as toasters, VCRs, DVD players, televisions 20 inches and smaller - are accepted.
Any items that do not meet the above descriptions should be taken to the First Piedmont Transfer Station. The telephone number for the Transfer Station is 276-638-3794.
Household Hazardous Waste Day
Henry County and the Martinsville City work jointly to sponsor two Household Hazardous Waste Days per year. The event typically takes place on a predetermined Saturday in April and October at 2285 Fairystone Park Highway, Bassett, VA 24055. The exact dates are determined approximately six weeks prior. At these events, City and County residents may dispose of such items as solvents, paints, fuels, oils, automobile fluids, batteries, computer equipment and cell phones. Not open to business or commercial entities.
Saturday, October 7, 2023 - 9 am to Noon Rain or shine.
Convenience Center Site Maps
- Axton Road Site - 125 Axton Road, Axton, VA
- Blackfeather Trail Site - 92 Black Feather Trail, Ridgeway, VA
- Blackberry Road Site - 640 Blackberry Road, Bassett, VA
- Country Road Site - 293 Country Road, Bassett, VA
- Jack Dalton Road Site - 310 Jack Dalton Road, Collinsville, VA
- Red Oak Site - 595 Red Oak Road, Martinsville, VA
- Stoney Mountain Road Site - 5245 Stoney Mountain Road, Axton, VA
First Piedmont Transfer Station
205 Arden Circle
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 7 am to 4:30 pm
The transfer station accepts most garbage items including construction waste, debris, and other items not accepted at the convenience centers. This is a privately-run facilities and fees are assessed for services at the transfer station.