Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court. There are no residency requirements and a couple may go into any Circuit Court to obtain a marriage license; however, the marriage must take place in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once the license is issued, there is no waiting period and no blood test required. The marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days. The person performing the ceremony must be registered with a Circuit Court in Virginia.
How to Apply
- Both parties must appear in person in the Clerk's Office
- Bring a valid form of identification such as a driver's license, a passport or military identification.
- Bring a $30 fee. The Clerk's Office accepts Cash, Check, Visa or MasterCard. (the fee when using a card will be $31.20)
- You must be at least 18 years old or an emancipated minor with a certified copy of the Emancipation Order
- Both parties will fill out a marriage application on the marriage license kiosk located in our deed room.
- Both parties must verify the information given on the application. The Clerk/Deputy Clerk will administer an oath and both parties will sign the application affirming the information is correct to the best of their knowledge.
- After the application is complete, you will be given an envelope that contains two licenses to give to your Marriage Officiant. Again, the marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days.
- The person performing the ceremony must be registered with a Circuit Court in Virginia allowing them to perform marriages in Virginia.
- The Clergy, Minister, or Civil Celebrant performing the ceremony must completely fill out both licenses and return them to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office within 5 days after the ceremony.
After the Ceremony
After the Clerk's Office has received and recorded your license, you may obtain a certified copy. You will need a certified copy if requesting a change of name either with the Division of Motor Vehicles or the Social Security Administration. You may either appear in person in the Clerk's Office or you may mail your request. The fee for each certified copy is $2.50. You will need to know both names of spouses and the date of marriage. If mailing the request, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope and mail to the Henry County Circuit Court.
|Name||Title||Phone Number||Additional Phone Number|
|Adkins, Michelle||Civil Celebrant||276-226-3321|
|Adkins, Truman||Civil Celebrant||276-340-9152|
|Ganes, Linda H.||Civil Celebrant||276-224-2804|
|Kellam, Wendy||Civil Celebrant||276-224-4696|
|Panizzi, Bevelie||Civil Celebrant||276-957-1323||276-252-8337|
|Sharpe, Patrick||Civil Celebrant||276-638-2455|
|Sparks, Philip T||Civil Celebrant||276-340-7445|